Golf is our business; it is also our passion and we love it. We believe allowing golfers to enjoy a game in a safe environment provides the mental and physical health benefits to improve the well being of hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts across the country.
This practical guide, prepared by our staff in consultation with industry experts, outlines the robust, monitored measures Alnwick Castle Golf Club has taken to help safeguard our staff and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. For golfers, the measures cover each step of the journey from home to 1st tee and back home again. At the golf courses, these measures are in place from dawn until dusk, seven days a week.
Our measures and procedures are under constant review, updated as advice from government, health authorities and governing bodies evolves in line with the gradual lifting of social restrictions.
➀ Course Access
The club will remain closed for two days following the go ahead to re-open. This means the course will remain closed Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th May 2020. The course will re-open on Friday 15th May 2020 at 8am. In the initial period following the club’s re-opening, access to the course is limited to our staff, club members and members’ guests. Golf must be played alone, with one person in your household group or one person from outside of your household. Non-members without a host will be welcomed from Monday 18th May 2020. Visitors must be aware that they can play with one member of their household or with one person outside of their household.
To access the course, a player must:
- Not have been out of the country for over 14 days
- Not be in self-isolation and not required to cocoon
- Not be displaying COVID-19 symptoms
- Have a pre-reserved tee time- 8am-6pm ONLY
➁ Booking & Arrival
- Booking a tee time in advance is compulsory – via website, app, or phone
- When restrictions are eased, visitors MUST book and pre-pay online
- We require all players to provide a phone number and email address when booking to enable
contact tracing and health and safety.
- All golfers will be made aware of our measures prior to their visit
- We would encourage that golf equipment should be washed before a player leaves home
- Golfers should travel to the club alone, or with a member of the same household
- Ample car parking spaces are available to ensure social distancing a one way system to the “check in” and first tee.
- Arrival at the course no more than 15 minutes prior to reserved tee time
- Observe social distancing always and resist the temptation to mingle
- Locker rooms are closed. Arrange golf attire and change footwear at the car
- Report straight to the “check in” point upon arrival. “Check in” point will be manned from 9am-6pm. 7 Days a week.
➂ Check-in Protocol
- Mandatory check in for all golfers. “Check in” point will be manned from 9am-6pm. 7 Days a week. . Golf must be played alone, with one person in your household group or one person from outside of your household.
- Two-metre queue markers at the “check in” point and first tee.
- Only one person at a time permitted inside the “check in”
- A two-metre exclusion zone at the service desk.
- Essential golfing items will be available to purchase, gathered by staff on request
- Food and beverage items limited to take away sandwiches, bars, and drinks
- Card payment only, no cash accepted at the till
- Scorecards only available for download from the club’s website. These will be available.
- Social golf only. There will be no competitive golf, this will be reviewed on the 1st June 2020.
➃ Clubhouse Facilities
- Clubhouse access is limited to the toilets
- Toilets will have open entrance doors and are cleaned regularly
- Hand dryers are disabled, with disposable paper towels provided
- Locker rooms and bar are closed.
- Sanitised trollies and buggies are available for hire, single person use only. These must be booked and pre-paid online or through the app
- Players must provide their own golf clubs.
- Players to arrive in golf attire and change shoes at the car
➄ To the First Tee
- Groups restricted to 2-balls at 8-minute intervals, equating to 14 golfers per hour.
- Practice green/area is closed.
- Arrive at the 1st tee no more than 5 minutes prior to the reserved tee time
- A ‘Course Marshall’ will patrol the car park, first tee and golf course
To ensure player adherence to protocol and help avoid group gatherings
- Social spacing signage identifies the 1st tee waiting areas
- Any player(s) not following directions will be asked to leave the course
- Tee off times strictly observed to ensure minimum 8-minute group spacing
- Caddies are not allowed on the course
➅ On the Course
- Physical distancing observed throughout, particularly on tees and greens
- Social spacing boxes identify waiting areas on tee box approaches
- Rubbish bins and divot bins all removed
- Ball washers removed or covered over
- Bunker rakes removed, players to smooth sand with feet prior to shot
- Par three holes are compulsory call up holes to avoid player congestion
- Flagsticks to remain in the hole and must not be touched
- Hole cup inserts in place for simple, contact-free ball retrieval
- Once a hole is completed, the group in front must have exited the tee box before
- players can progress to the next hole
- Do not double back to play again if a ball is lost, unplayable, or in a penalty area
- Equipment, food, and drink must not be exchanged between players
- Players must not pick up another player’s equipment or golf ball
- Players must refrain from handshakes and high fives
- All golfers must walk in from the course 30 minutes prior to sunset
➆ Getting Home Safely
- Post-round, players must return straight to their cars following the one way system.
- Bar will remain closed
- Lockers cannot be accessed to store belongings
- Hands may be washed and sanitised in the toilets
- A staff member will be on-site until 30 minutes past sunset
- Ensure clubs and equipment are cleaned thoroughly after use
- Players requested to log their round in the HSE COVID-19 contact tracing app when available and launched in the UK
- Players must call or email the golf club with any post-round health issues or
COVID-19 related queries, at the earliest possible opportunity
- Alnwick Golf Club has an assigned COVID-19 Staff Officer (Andy Hill)
Responsible for managing such issues and queries. To contact Andy call 01665 602632 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org